Thursday, August 20, 2009

Small Vacations, Good Times

So this last weekend the troop headed to Des Moines for a mini-vaca. We also brought along our niece Abby, and let me tell you, we might not be able to take any more vacations without her. Having an extra stroller-pusher, hand-holder, drink-fetcher, etc. is quite the luxury. So on Sunday we headed to the Blank Park Zoo via Urgent Care for Zachary. Saturday night was a rough night for the little guy that we had originally attributed to teething. But, he became pretty much inconsolable and if you even moved him an inch, he would scream. I thought I maybe dislocated a shoulder picking him up or something (trust me, I had some paranoid scenarios going through my head, especially when I couldn't get him to roll over, something that had become second nature to him). Anyway, the doctor said it was just a virus, but in doing my own diagnostic work (just call me Dr. House, because I went down about three different paths before arriving at my conclusion) that I think he was having a reaction to the Target formula we bought him. That's what we get for being cheap. So, I was starting to wean him and now all of that has went in the crapper and he's back to breast feeding all the time and I haven't given him cereal for about a week. However, the chunky monkey weighed 24 pounds 10 oz at the doctor, officially surpassing his sister by about a pound. So, in other words, I don't think he's hurting for meals. He seems to be doing much better now, besides the fact that we think he is starting to scream to imitate his sister, which is not a pleasant noise:) But I digress. So we head to the zoo on Sunday afternoon and had a great time. If you haven't been to the Blank Park Zoo and have little kids I highly recommend it. It was just the right size, and it wasn't so crowded that you had to fight to see the animals. It was perfect. Then we headed to a hotel that I kind of want to keep a secret because it was so great and Matt and I don't want the word to get out:) Okay, I will tell you guys. We headed to the Ramada on Merle Hay Road that has been COMPLETELY redone with an awesome pool area. It was perfect. The kids had so much fun. Monday we got up and swam some more and then headed to the Iowa State Fair. So we figured a Monday would not be too busy, but boy, did we figure wrong. It was CRAZY busy! The kids got tatoos, went down the giant slide (nearly causing me to have a heart attack as I looked on) and ate some food that both Matt and I regretted that night and Zach regretted the next day. But all in all, it was a great time. One of the best things about staying at home (besides hours upon hours of time with my kids....) is the fact that Matt and I have been able to spend some time together with our kids without dipping into what was once my meager vacation time. It has given us some freedom which is really nice. Kind of makes me hope we can afford to have me stay home forever...and hire a nanny:)

No comments:

Post a Comment