Monday, March 29, 2010

Sleep

I am reading a new book that lists some spiritual disciplines that you can try and sleep is the first chapter. You have to love a book that tells you to sleep! Anyway, that got me wondering about a lot of things...but in relation to my kids, when exactly do they start to realize that sleep is a GOOD thing! And when do adults start wanting the day to end so that they can just go to sleep? It's a funny dynamic. I mean, I get the kids point of view...you are playing and having so much fun, why would you want to interrupt that with sleep? But honestly, you get to take a two-hour nap every day and no one thinks worse of you, in fact they want you to do it. And on top of that, your parents want you to sleep as long as you can in the morning, NOT wake up. I mean, when does that happen in real life? I set my alarm and TRY to get up (it doesn't happen very often) so that I can do some work before I even go to work. It's sad. Now, if I could just get my kids to appreciate what they have!
This weekend I struggled trying to get Ben and Maddie to lay down for naps. Zach is actually in a stage where he kind of enjoys his bed, which is nice. But on Saturday I tried to lay both Ben and Maddie down at the same time and since they share a room with each other and Zach it is like walking a tightrope to not wake anyone up. And if your two older ones act like they are not remotely tired, it usually doesn't end up well. I probably trekked up and down the stairs ten times threatening that if I had to come up "one more time" something bad was going to happen (I didn't really have anything good to hang over their head, so I think that affected my effectiveness). I came up once and they were both in Ben's bed (which admittedly was pretty cute), another time Maddie had out her doctor's kit and had a little Urgent Care set up right there in her bed and Ben was rearranging the letters on his wall that say "Ben" to read "NEB"... he seems to like his name better that way. Eventually Matt had to go upstairs and lay by them and I heard him snoring while the kids continued to play. I don't know how he does that...I struggle to fall asleep anywhere other then my comfy bed (and sometimes there as well).
Speaking of sleep, Maddie just woke up her normal grumpyself at 7 am on the dot (Ben's been up for about 15 minutes watching Playhouse Disney in my room) so I better go. Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment